About the Department
The Department has been consistently following a modernized method of teaching, with national and state-level seminars and webinars and audio- visual techniques, over and above classroom teaching. This Department is furnished with satisfying educational and infrastructural facilities This department started its glorious journey with general degree course in 1970 under the University of Calcutta. Being an affiliated college under Vidyasagar University honours course was introduced in 2003 and finally in 2017 regular post graduate course in English was introduced. A group of qualified & eminent teachers taught in the department. Their teaching activities glorify the department as well as the literary and cultural development of the local area.
Aims and Objectives:
- Grow the literary and cultural atmosphere inside and outside of the college.
- Grow the aesthetic sense among the students.
- Find out the creativity of the students.
- Grow the reading habit of literature among the students.
Goal of the department:
- To help the students to develop their personality.
- Establish a help desk for the preparation of NET/SET.
- To introduce the course on language.
- Increase the seat capacity for both UG and P.G.
Scope of further studies:
- After the completion of the running course graduate students of this department may be admitted in PG courses in both regular and distance mode.
- After the completion of the running course post graduate students of this department may be admitted in M .Phil & Ph.D. programme in English.
- After the completion of the running course any students of this department may be admitted in B.Ed. courses.
- After the completion of the running course any students of this department may be admitted those courses where minimum eligible criteria are graduate.
- A large number of students scored first class both UG & PG level.
- A large number of students already engaged in job at school, college and office.
- A large number of students get admission to the PG courses.
- Organize some extension programme for the sociocultural development of the society.
- Organize some special lecture about the broad area of the subject.
- Organize national and international seminar for the uplift and advancement of knowledge.
Importance of subject:
- A person can enrich his/her reading and writing ability.
- Enrich the speaking ability.
- Cooperation, humanity, sympathy and other valuable virtues can grow in mind by reading the literature.
- Man can build his/her language capacity by reading the literature.
- Beauty, aesthetics, ethics and other valuable senses can grow in mind by reading the literature.
- By reading the literature, a man can feel the both happiness and sorrow of people.
- The skill of creative writing is increased by the study of English language and literature.