About the Department
A Brief History of the Department
The Department of Chemistry is one of the oldest departments of this college which started its journey from the establishment of this college in the year 1970, at that time only Higher Secondary (10+2) syllabus was taught.
The department introduced at first the general course in Chemistry in the year 1980 for the students and after a long journey the department introduced the Honours course in the year 2005. Finally the department is upgraded by introducing PG course in the year 2017. The intake capacity honors course has been increased to thirty one and for PG course it is twenty. At present, the department has six faculty members. The academic condition in terms of quality of faculty and learning transfer process is healthy and adequate. The department organizes departmental seminars on different recent topics in Chemistry in which eminent speakers from different department of our college deliver their lectures. The department has its three well-equipped laboratories, a small library, and one computer with internet facility for the teacher as well as students. In its journey three minor research projects financed by UGC have been completed by the faculties.
The department carries out extra curriculum activities like preparation Jam jelly commercially to develop self support system among the students. The department also involves in social activities like water and soil testing process from where local cultivators and stockholders are being benefited.
Aim and objective of the Department:
The Chemistry Department of Sabang Sajanikanta Mahavidyalaya dedicated to cater the essence of `advancement of chemical science to the pupils coming from the families of the area of landless, marginal and small cultivators, agricultural labourers, unprivileged classes as well as other socially and economically backward communities by way of creating the scope higher. The department is determined to offer the highest quality graduate (BSc.), Post graduate (MSc) and Research aptitude. The department is aspiring to cooperate effectively with other science departments involving interdisciplinary programs for comprehensive excellence.
- Developing the scientific mind set up of the pupils and catering chemical knowledge to the society.
- Developing scientific personalities for the service of the community and society.
- Providing the technical services in field of chemistry to both public and private sectors.
- Understanding the interdisciplinary nature of chemistry and to integrate knowledge of mathematics, physics and other disciplines to a wide variety of chemical problems.
- Contributing the improvement of the public at the scientific cultural awareness.
- Learning the laboratory skills needed to design, safely conduct and interpret chemical research.
- Developing the ability to effectively communicate scientific information and research results in written and oral formats.
- Conducting academic and industrial scientific research necessary for improve the quality of live for the people of the society.
- To create an academic environment which promote the intellectual and professional development of students and faculty members.
- To provide the knowledge of chemistry that stresses scientific reasoning and analytical problem solving with a molecular perspective.
- To expose the students to the breadth of scientific research and experimental techniques.
- To provide students with the skills required to succeed in higher education, the chemical industry or professional area.
- To develop self support system among them.